Friday, October 12, 2007

Required: Take a Chill Pill

One thing that you MUST NOT DO as a teacher is devote all your free time to your work. There's always something to do, whether it's organizing your week and resources or grading papers or calling parents... There's always something else that you could be doing as a teacher. Trying to steamroll through the work will just wipe you out and give you more work to deal with later. If you're a compulsive worker, schedule in some free time each night or week. Here are some suggestions:

-Save Friday nights for yourself: last year I went out to dinner and got catfish on Friday nights.
-Watch movies: This is my favorite thing right now. It helps me relax for a couple of hours; plus when I'm done watching a movie, I know I haven't been doing anything for a while so it helps motivate me to get work done..
-Find your network: Having a network of friends I can call and meet up with has been the best thing for my sanity, I kid you not.
-Get away: Go away on a day trip or for a few days, your choice. But getting away really helps clear your mind, and can help give you some perspective about what you're doing.
-Go to school events (especially [football] games): granted, this is supposed to be about how to relax outside of school, but if you go to more school events, you're creating a more positive connection to your school, where it's not just your really hard job, and you're making the idea of "school" a less stressful one).
-Discover you community: Where's the closest movie theater and how much is matinee? Is there an ice skating rink? When does the movie rental place close? What restaurants are within a 10-minute drive? Knowing information like this will make it easier for you to do something when you do want to relax, especially if these places are very close by.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home