Sunday, July 23, 2006

Video Lesson, Part One

Though it was quite some time ago, I remember having very distinct reactions to seeing myself teach the first time. It was, for one thing, really creepy. A part of me wasn't sure how to deal with the fact that I was holding a little version of myself in my hands and watching her run around a classroom. But after I got over that I thought it was so awesome. There I was, teaching. And the students were actually learning. AMAZING! I was excited to be teaching them, and got even more excited when my students seemed to grasp the concepts I was teaching to them or correctly answered a question. I felt like I was getting something done, doing my job, if you will...
There were definitely some aspects of my lesson that I didn't like, however. I thought I could have had the students up and out of their seats more. They were paying attention just fine sitting in their seats, but I felt that they probably could have benefited more from a lesson that had them directly interacting with the material they were learning.
But here's something that made my jaw drop: during the lesson I started dancing and made some excuse for it, made some kind of joke. I looked SO crazy. Just CRAZY. Now, I know I can be kind of "out there" sometimes, but just then I felt like I knew exatly what my students must have been thinking: "oh my gosh, my teacher is crazy, haha." I think that in the end, it'll be a good thing that my personality shines through in class. Maybe (hopefully) my craziness alone will make my students want to come to class, behave, do the work and learn Spanish. If I spend all of class dealing with classroom management I won't have time to really make class interesting. I hope my students will pick up on that one.
So overall, I thought it was a good lesson, but there's always some room for improvement. And although I looked really crazy, I liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home